Saturday, October 8, 2011

Apartment Hunting was a HUGEEEEEEEEEE Success!

To begin, thank god this week is over!  Two exams in one week was not fun for poor Brayton, or me!!! (I can't imagine what finals week is going to be like with 4!)  

The Missoula Children's Theatre production of Jungle Book with the Prep School this past week was beyond amazing, beyond words, completely breathtaking!  The entire school (about 60 kids) learned the songs, lines, moves, everything for the one hour production of Jungle Book in 4 DAYS!!!  4 days - I don't think adults/teens could have done this! My 1st and 2nd graders were Monkeys and had 3 songs, and 3 dances, and when they weren't on stage were sitting back stage silently and were PERFECT.  I could not have been MORE proud of them and their hard work!

Friday night was another great night of beach volleyball!  I am loving that I was asked to play with a team of people who are GOOD at volleyball and welcomed me to their team!  It is such a great stress relief and a great end of the week break!  Brayton and I were both exhausted from our long week of theatre productions and exams and were home and in bed by 10 PM (I'll note that is about 2-4 hours earlier than any night the past week!) and were so excited to wake up and begin our apartment search and our first SCUBA class.

So apartment hunting in St Kitts.....Where to start.....

1) Ross University has many apartments on the island that are 'Ross Approved'.  That means they meet tons and tons and tons of security regulations and are 'as safe as they can be' according to them.  Some of their standards and requirements are over the top (glad they want us to be safe!) but because of them, many apartments are NOT Ross approved and you have to find them through realtors on the island.

2) Many areas on the island are not the safest places to live and/or are a potential 'unsafe' area.  Truthfully, I feel like if you are smart and use common sense and are smart about where you live, you will be fine.

3) Many apartments are not all that nice... and they are extremeeeellllyyy expensive! When I say not nice I would say that is comparative to a place in the US most of us wouldn't live in (if you ever saw my Potsdam apartment - it'd say its close to that!).  They are all furnished, but most have lawn furniture/futon style furniture in the living rooms(not so comfy to sit on), and are just old and dirty-ish.

4) We are busy and don't really have all the time in the world to apartment hunt!

5) We found an AWESOME realtor who I told what I wanted and she hooked us up with 4 showings today and we didn't have to do anything (THANK YOU CARLA!!!!!!!!!!)

6) Carla took us to some great apartments, all 4 of which were very nice and very possible living spaces for us.  But the 4th one she took us to was, well let's just say, beyond amazing (especially for St Kitts!!!!!).  It is located in Fort Tyson Rise, in Frigate Bay(up the mountain side from the Marriott) and when you stand in the yard you can see the entire perimeter of St Kitts (AMAZING, BREATHTAKING, AHHH!).   That was just the beginning!  When you walked inside, you felt like you had just entered into the home of some really rich person who has some house you wish you could live in!  It had amazing tile floors, REALLLLLLL furniture (that you sink into and don't ever want to get out of!) and big, open, kitchen with nice cupboards and countertops, a nice glass dining room table, a HUGE bedroom with  a 4 post queen size pillowtype, soft, comfy, bed.  Two huge beautiful dressers, a big closet that opened into a humongous bathroom.  It also has a nice laundry room with washer AND dryer(most places don't have dryers).  He has a 'gym' in his house we can use, he is thinking of putting in a pool AND it was in our price range!!!!  We talked about it and decided we were SOLD!  We will be moving in in December!

Since we got this amazing apartment, and have been looking at money and time and such - we have decided not to come home in December anymore.  It was going to be expensive for us, someone was going to have to drive us to and pick us up from NYC in December (and drive down on the 31st-yikes).  It was winter and blizzards and cold and we live in paradise now and just don't want to see snow!!!!  So - we will be coming home for a week in April instead (apx. April 22 - April 29).  If anyone wants an awesome break from winter - come visit us for Christmas instead!

We also had our first in water SCUBA class today.  It was in the pool at Ocean Terrace Inn and was really cool.  At first it was really scary to go underwater and take a breath and have air come in through this 'thing' in your mouth and then breath out and have bubbles surround you and for everything to just be ok and underwater!  There were many skills that we practiced and learned and most of it is exciting and some of it still makes me nervous (that I have to do it again at 40 feet deep, in the ocean and not 8 feet deep in a pool!).  I think we are doing our first and second ocean dives next Saturday - yay!  Hopefully I make it up alive =)  just kidding!

Oh, and, we ate at KFC today!!  And it was actually really good!  I am not sure I have ever eaten at a KFC at home, so I am not sure if it was as good or not!

I think that is about all the excitement we have for one day!  We are hoping for a relaxing beach morning, early afternoon tomorrow and then get to studying (for Brayton) for the evening!  He has another exam on Wednesday this week!!!  Luckily - he got an A on his first Physiology exam and a B on his first Microanatomy exam!  GO BRAYTON!  He is pretty much amazing =)  


Well - I need to get to bed - I can't be too tired tomorrow, I have a long day of going to the beach!

No comments:

Post a Comment