Today Brayton and I spent some time running around the island, doing things we never have time to do during the week because of school and work. After a few stops, we decided to stop into Rituals for a coffee and I needed something to eat. Upon ordering Brayton's Red Eye with a cup of ice, my vanilla Iced Chi Tea, I asked the women what was in a breakfast burrito. (Now, most of us would assume the answer would be along the lines of peppers, onions, tomatoes, sausage/bacon/ham, egg and cheese). She responded kindly with, "Chicken sausage, egg and cheese." I said, "Ok - I'll also take one of those."
Then we waited... about 10 minutes later, our coffee's were done.. complete with the missing cup of ice I had ordered and had to ask for! We sat, chatted about how great it felt to be done with this semester, how excited we were to go home, and of course, the unique people gathering in Rituals that morning! Finally, after about 25-30 minutes, I went up to the counter with my receipt and politely asked if my breakfast burrito that I had ordered quite some time ago was done, or if they had not done my order. The women turns around, grabs and to-go bag that has grease seeping through it, piled on top of the food station and yells to another worker, "IS THIS THE BREAKFAST BURRITO?" Sure enough it was..I wonder how long it had sat there soaking in its own grease?!
Finally, back to the table, ready to eat! I open the bag, peel it off the grease, look at the burrito, look at Brayton, who looks at the burrito and say, "Is that a chopped up hot dog in my burrito?" Why yes, yes it is. I thought at first that maybe they had given me the wrong order and someone had special ordered a breakfast burrito with a chopped up hot dog in it for their child. Being me, and being hungry, I just said screw it, picked out the 40 hot dog chunks and ate the wrap with egg and cheese (let me mention, it wasn't even good!). After watching me pick out the hot dog, and eat half, Brayton says, "I am going to go ask them about this!"
To the counter he goes...Conversation goes something like this:
Brayton: "Are you the manager?"
Guy: "No, she is."
B: "May I talk to you please?"
Manager: "Sure, what can I do for you sir?"
B: "Can you please tell me what is in a breakfast burrito?"
M: "Sure, chicken sausage, egg and cheese."
B: "Do you consider chicken sausage, and the hot dog you ALSO have on your menu to be the same thing?"
M: hesitates "Yes."
B: "I think you should know, chicken sausage and hot dogs are NOT the same thing. If you are going to tell people there is chicken sausage in a burrito, put chicken sausage in it. If you are going to put a hot dog in it, you need to tell people it is a chopped up hot dog, egg and cheese."
M: "Ok, would you like another burrito?"
B: "No, my wife already picked out all the hot dog and just ate the rest. But I have lived here for a year and a half, have ordered the breakfast burrito before and its never had a HOT DOG in it."
M: "Oh, did you order it from the one at Ross?"
B: "Yes..."
M: "Thats because they stopped using hot dogs because so many people complained."
B: "Maybe you should follow suit! That is disgusting!"
Ahh! Another day in St. Kitts!
Luckily our trip to the "main land", America, starts TOMORROW!
(These are the moments I wish I had a phone with a camera for picture evidence of the absurdities of this island! Mental pictures will have to do for now!"
No comments:
Post a Comment