Wednesday, February 12, 2014

It's that time!

As I have progressed through this pregnancy, there have been a roller coaster of emotions, followed by some medical issues, topped with the biggest blessings I have yet to be given in my life.  Here I sit at 32 weeks pregnant, I had the perfect twin pregnancy with only 8 weeks of nausea, great health and perfectly growing babies until week 29 when my body took a turn for the worst.  The past three weeks of dealing with living in the hospital and the medical problems while my husband is in another country have been extremely challenging, yet have proven to us that love, trust, strength and communication (along with so many other things) can make anything possible and have only strengthened who we are as a couple and as very soon to be parents.

Over the past 8 days my body has continued to contain a great deal of fluid from the waist down and has led to great discomfort.  Aside from that, my lab work has been fairly stable and my blood pressures have been controllable.  Over the past 3-4 days the swelling has caused me to have limited mobility, extreme discomfort and has led to serious delivery discussions with the doctor.

After a long day yesterday, we have decided as a team (doctors, Brayton and I) that all of these are signs and symptoms that we need to move forward and deliver these babies.  With severe pre-eclampsia delivery goals are between 32 and 34 weeks.  While we would have prefered to reach 34 weeks, sometimes the body leads us to make other decisions.  Today, Brayton is on route and should arrive in Syracuse tonight and tomorrow we will be delivering babies via C-Section.  While it was a difficult choice, we are ecstatic to meet our girls and begin our adventure as parents!

I must admit, though, that while the past few weeks have been challenging, being pregnant has been one of the most amazing things I have yet to experience in my life. There is nothing like knowing you are growing a baby, or two babies in this matter, feeling them and you change, creating a bond that is like no other and spending your nights feeling them move and push and kick and punch.  I have found myself in tears, happy yet sad tears, that my time being pregnant and having this experience is almost over... I can only imagine the love and bond that I will feel tomorrow once I get to hold my baby girls...

The prayers, thoughts, messages and love we have received from everyone have been amazing and we are so grateful for the wonderful and supportive family and friends we have both here at home, around the country, and in St. Kitts.  I am especially grateful for my mom and aunt who have spent countless amounts of hours sitting in this hospital room with me and for everyone who has supported and made it possible for Brayton to be home for 2 weeks during his most strenuous and difficult semester of Vet School.  We are truly blessed <3

Lyndi was awesome this weekend and took some maternity pictures for me here in the hospital, she even came with little props and ideas - she is so clever!  Here are some of those and they are pictures I will forever cherish, even with the IV, hospital bands and stretch marks.  Each of those things is part of this amazing journey.















I will do my best to keep up the blog after the babies arrive.  Thank you everyone for supporting us in everything.  We are so excited for what lies ahead <3

No comments:

Post a Comment