Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Summer in the Caribbean

One thing I have learned about living in St. Kitts during the 'summer season' is what being REALLLY hot and sweaty and uncomfortable feels like.  Northern New York gets hot in the summer, but I just don't think it is the HOT that we have here!  Often times, I get out of bed, and am sweating before I can even get dressed!  I walk to the car and drive to school and continue to sweat (because our POS islandmobile has NO A/C!)   In short - it is hot here right now!!

Aside from the heat, our lives have been pretty normal.  Brayton is working hard on 3rd semester, studying lots and getting good grades.  He is continuing to work on the Leatherback Turtle Project but will be done with that in a couple weeks.   I have been extremely busy with summer camp at the Prep School, but am loving working with the older kids and the change of pace and such that comes with summer camp as opposed to the school year.  I am looking forward to next year though with more experience under my belt!


A week from Saturday will be our ONE YEAR WEDDING ANNIVERSARY!  It seems impossible that in the past year we have: flown me across the country for a job interview 5 days before the wedding, got married, enjoyed an amazing time in OBX, traveled back home, packed our lives into suitcases, enjoyed the last River summer for a few years, said 'see ya later' to our friends and family from home, moved to St Kitts, made it through 2 1/2 semester of vet school and teaching in St Kitts, lived in 4 different home, made some of the most amazing friends I could EVER ask for on this island, traveled home one time, and are now looking back at the anxiety we felt about coming here to begin with...Who would have thought a year could go by so quickly!  In no time at all, we will be at this point again and only have 5 months until we are done here!  I do have to say, summer at home, and being here while everyone is posting pictures of the river, and friends and family and summer vacation is making me quite homesick...I often have to remind myself that I will only be here for a short time and I should cherish the things I have here before they are gone and I am missing them!

Nevi is doing great - her skin demadex is all healed up and she will be getting fixed next week!  She is learning her commands and is a GREAT puppy 90% of the time!  Koala is a crazy cat who does what she wants, when she wants - but we love her dearly!  She too, will be getting fixed in a couple weeks!  Our poor girls!


I cannot think of anything new, fun, or overly exciting in our lives.  I have been doing Insanity in the mornings with my roommate, Andrew and signed up to run a 5k in a few weeks (YIKES!)... I should probably start running =)  Brayton has exams the next two Monday's - then we have a slight break before diving into finals!

I am SO excited for my parents and sisters to be here in about a month and a half, and I cannot wait for them to see and experience 'my home', the good and the bad, the fun and the scary.  I am worried my father will be bored stiff - but hopefully he will force himself to relax and enjoy =)

I hope everyone at home is enjoying summer, the river, friends and family.  We DO have skype and email if anyone ever wants to catch up, send pictures, or let us know you're still out there ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment