Monday, February 4, 2013

'Cause I know it's my destiny to leave more than a trace of myself in this place!

This blog post is long.. It's deep..I am spilling my soul and saying a lot of things that have been in my mind, but not said in words..

Note: Please do not think I have not felt ALL of these below feelings from my current job and students.. Because I have.  And I truly, deeply love EACH AND EVERY ONE of them to the core!!
That's my kiddo!! =)


These kids ROCK!  <3


Upon moving to St. Kitts, life was hard.  To be straight - I HATED it here.  Every single thing about it, from morning to night, day to day - it was awful.  I felt like my life was going to be a living hell of two years on this 'rock' while my husband went to Vet School and I 'got by'.  Now, after being here for a year and a half, my outlook has changed and it's only taken me about a year and four months (I am sort of exaggerating!)  Beginning in January, Brayton and I moved back into our own apartment - although I enjoyed living with other couples for many reasons, it was also difficult for many reasons.  Being back on our own has been a great choice!

The first story I'd like to share with you is that of our dear friend Dionte.  In January, I began tutoring Dionte in reading.  He was pushed through the local school in St. Kitts and never really learned to read.  I was eager and excited to begin working with him.  In the past year, Brayton had also spent a lot of time working with Dionte as he works for Dr. Stewart and worked closely with Brayton on the turtle project.  Over the past month, Dionte has become like a 19 year old 'kid' to us.  He confides in us, wants to be with us, loves us (we are named "BFF MOM and DAD"), and trusts all that we are giving and teaching him.  Never in my life did I think I would be taking a 19 year old under my wing, but Dionte has taught me so much.  I believe that we are like here to help Dionte move from a life of just getting by in St Kitts to a very hopeful life of LIVING.  I look forward to our adventures with him and hope that we can be the people in his life that can help him do what is best and make a change for his future.  He holds a very special place in our hearts!

In the past few weeks, I have come to learn about some things on St. Kitts that I did not know existed, things that have sparked my interest, captured my heart, and renewed my motivation, desires and passions for my life.  About 4 weeks ago, my friend Dan from work introduced me to (after convincing me it was worth it to wake up early on a Saturday) the 'Market'.  I have blogged about it before here but it has been a really great thing to help me learn to embrace and love St Kitts.  I have met some amazing local people, had some fabulous local food, and made some great networking connections - all from going to market at 7 am on Saturday's!

Last Saturday while I was meandering my way through market, I saw a nice women standing at a table with a bunch of second hand clothing and a sign reading Project Strong.  I decided that I needed to go investigate the purpose of this woman being at Market promoting this organization and so began one of the best Saturday's ever!  I learned that Project Strong is an Alternative School on the island created to help those children who fall through the cracks.  The woman I met volunteers at the school and as I was telling her about my background in Special Education, my passion in the field, and some of my hopes and dreams and her response was, "Do you have any free time?  We would love to have more volunteers like you!"  I wish that my answer was, "Of course, I'll be there Monday, what should I expect? When should I arrive?  What will I be doing?" But it wasn't.  My answer was, "Well, I'm currently working full time, tutoring two days a week, working with the special olympics and hoping to fit in some volunteering time!"  She continued to go on explaining the Project Strong school to me, and I instantly knew it was a place I HAD to visit.  We exchanged emails, and I am looking forward to going for a visit on Monday, the 25th of February.  I hope that I will be able to find some time or ways to help there!  In the midst of our conversation, I also noticed she had some calendars with the title Operation Future, so I had to enquire!  She explained to me that Operation Future is an organization that was created "To interact with, educate and embrace our nation's youth, in our concerted quest to positively guide and nurture their young minds to heighten their awareness about crime and keep them on the straight and narrow path."  WOW!  How amazing!  Not only does this organization exist, they have created a huge house on the island, with a full sound room, recording studio, musical instruments, kitchens, etc. to provide these kids with a safe place.  How inspiring is that?! 

But wait, it gets better.  This wonderful woman then goes onto to asking me if I had plans tonight, because there was a catamaran leaving from St. Kitts at 5, going to the Four Seasons at Nevis where Operation Future was hosting a Silent Auction, and the boat would then bring you back, and the total cost was $35 ECD!  I told her I didn't think I'd be able to make it, but bought a ticket just in case considering it to be a donation!  On my way out of market, I ran into Dan and was excitedly telling him all of these great things I had just learned.  He said, "$35 EC?  Nicki and I already have a babysitter tonight, LET'S GO!"  I hesitated knowing that Brayton was busy, but told him to call if he and Nicki were serious.  One thing I've learned about the BergstromNoel's is, they don't mess around!  I got a call about 3:30 trying to convince me to go with them... I folded, I went, it was amazing!  The people were amazing, they were passionate, they loved what they were doing and supporting, they were kind, giving and simply some of the most unique and interesting people I could have asked to spend my evening with!  I had an amazing time, and only wish my husband could have been there to share in this blessing of being acquainted with the simply amazing things in life!  Not to mention, watching the sunset while riding on a Catamaran in the middle of the Caribbean Sea and coming home under the stars with the lights of St. Kitts in the distance is nothing short of breathtaking..


So, most people would say, St. Kitts = beaches, sun, snorkeling, surfing, fishing, relaxing, fun in the sun... Yah, those things are GREAT - but they are not the things that are taking my appreciation and respect of this island to a new level.. It is the organizations here that support children and teens - primarily those with disabilities or a rough path of life.  Those are the things that are motivating and inspiring me to continue pursuing my dreams in that field, to GIVE more and take LESS, to show compassion, love, and respect to those who are deemed different and to do it with more love in my heart than I knew possible! 


While I was chatting with the wonderful woman at Market and telling her some the great volunteer opportunities I have had come available to me in the recent past, I told her that I wish I had more time to do those things, but I really needed a job and a paycheck.  I told her I love my job, my students, my workplace, all of it - but it isn't my truest, deepest passion.  Her response was, "You will gain so much more prosperity and happiness in life by giving to others and doing it in an area that you are passionate about than you will ever make working a job 'for the paycheck' or a job that you don't LOVE."  This women has caused my mind, my life, and the choices I have in the next year and half to be turned upside down.  I love my job, I am good at my job, I need the income.. but will I truly gain more prosperity from GIVING?  (Sidenote: I LOVE my kids, they are amazing and have also given me so much happiness, love and guidance since coming here!)



Great Friends Nicki and Dan! 

Sun setting over the Caribbean Sea!

This is how we drive boats in St Kitts! 



Nicki and Myrtle - one of the great woman we met!
Some people on the Catamaran to Nevis


Sweetest little guy!  


SO - aside from these two great things, the wonderful conversations and the amazing people I've met through that one woman, one Saturday morning, during my 45 minutes at market - there are some other things I'd like to share with you! 


About 4 weeks ago, I also joined up with some other Ross students to assist with the local Special Olympics Swimming Team.  From 11 - 12 each Saturday we work with a group of 5-7 local swimmers who are in the process of meeting qualifying standards for the Special Olympics.  Some of them have previously traveled to other countries to compete and they are an amazing group of kids!  From 12 - 1, we work with special needs children who range from learning disabled, non-verbal/autistic, downs syndrome,  and young special needs children. *THEY*ARE*SIMPLY*AMAZING* Each and everyone of them melts your heart and fills your soul with love from a simple smile or the feelings of accomplishment from naming the colors of the rings and retrieving them from underwater.  It doesn't get any better than that!!  Last Saturday I work with a non-verbal, autistic boy who has never put his face or head underwater...Within the hour, he was not only putting his face under, but his entire head and body and retrieving rings from the bottom of the pool.  There is simply no greater satisfaction than that..Except maybe the smile on this child's face and the pure pride and joy he took in his accomplishments.  It is moments like that that I am reminded WHY I am on this earth and what my place in life is!!!!  


Some other volunteer opportunities I hope to find time for soon:

 - Working at the local Children's Home in any way - special events, tutoring, a friend...
 - Ade's Place - A daytime home for adults with disabilities on the island
 - Cotton-Thomas School - A special education school on the island


I feel as if these simple acts of kindness and giving in ways that make a difference in the lives of the people on this island, has opened my heart and helped me to be a better person.. If that can happen in just this short time - what will a life of that give to me?  I can only hope that someday I will know! 



My song.. 

  


Some words...













No comments:

Post a Comment