Since returning from Florida, Brayton has been full force back into classes. He has begun 5th semester, which everyone says is the semester where vet school finally starts to be more fun, hands-on and applicable to what you came here to do! After almost 6 weeks, Brayton is doing great and really enjoying his time. He has been learning about and getting to do a variety of hands on things, gets to wear green scrubs (only certain people in the doctor field can wear green!), and is taking all the memorization from the past 4 semesters and applying it! He is working so hard, studying lots, and still managing to be an amazing, helpful husband! I'm pretty lucky!
As for me, since returning the past 6 weeks have been a bit more challenging.. Since we are leaving in April of next year, I suspected that I wouldn't be working at the prep school, especially as a classroom teacher, next year. I was hoping for something to help fulfill my time, keep me close to 'my kids', and continue to provide me with an income and insurance since I cannot work anywhere else on the island! A few weeks ago, I was told that I would not have a contract for next year as there were many changes happening at the school, positions were limited and I was leaving in April. I knew it was coming, but the reality hit a bit hard. I have been working at the prep school since arriving on the island, these 1st and 2nd graders have been the solid point in my life down here, have given my something worth waking up for everyday, and the thought of not getting their hugs everyday put a pit in my stomach... The hardest part was, they didn't know, I couldn't tell them, and all my first grade babies kept saying, ".. when we have you next year..." and my 2nd grade babies (many of whom I've had for 2 years) kept saying "...we'll still see you everyday.." and every time those words left their mouths, and I had to say "..yah.. maybe.." my heart shattered into a million little unrepairable pieces. What made much of this harder, and this has always been hard working at the Prep School, is about 4 of my students are leaving the island/prep school for good, and I have to say "see ya later.." (Side note: I am all teary eyed just writing this!) Tomorrow, one of the girls I have had for 2 years is leaving.. moving back to the states.. and I KNOW it is going to be a rough day.. Those are the worst!
While finding out the news of being 'done' is August has been hard, it has also been a huge motivator for me to get out, and find some volunteering opportunities on the island. I currently am already involved in the Special Olympics, and am really excited about the opportunities that lie ahead of me! I have met some amazing people, made some great local connections and am getting more and more excited to find new, different, and exciting things that fill my heart, time and give me something to put my energy towards. The future of my time on St. Kitts currently (tentatively) includes:
1) Special Olympics Swimming Program
2) Working to help build/create a Special Olympics Office on island because there is not one now
3) Volunteering at the St. Kitts Children's Home in a variety of ways
4) Teaming up with some long time SK residents to create and build a swimming program for locals because many do not know how to swim
5) Volunteering at Ade's Place (an adult group home for disabled adults)
6) Possibly volunteering in the local schools, primarily focusing on the Special Education population
7) Subbing and helping at the Prep School
8) Tutoring, 'playdates', and hanging out with my OLD students!
and of course, finding time for me, the beach, my dogs and some R&R!
Tomorrow is the end of the 2nd to last week of the school year.. I have 6 days left with my kids (except 2 who are done for the year/forever tomorrow) and then have 8 weeks of summer camp until I say "See Ya Later" to my daily adventures at the prep school and begin the next step in my St. Kitts life! Lately, when I have been filled with emotion, often not knowing how to express exactly how I am feeling, or what to do or say, I look for quotes.. I really like many of these! They seem to be the simple words, that make everything in life seem possible, doable, easy and obtainable.. no matter the struggle.
I look forward to sharing my (and Brayton's) upcoming adventures with you, as we spend the last 10 months on the island!
![]() |
| I really love this one.. I feel like the more local children I meet and organizations here I get involved in, the more difference I can make. <3 |
![]() |
| Enough said! |
![]() |
Some Pictures:
| Brayton's rescue baby bird... It ended up dying, but he tried! |
These pictures are from the first EVER (yes, pathetic, we've lived here for 2 years.. and its our 1st!) Hike/Hash! It was cloudy so the pictures aren't as great as they could be - but it was beautiful!
And, once again, I will end this blog with the song that inspires me to do and be better!
















No comments:
Post a Comment