Wednesday, January 9, 2013

All the small things..

When you have lived in America (or another developed country) you often don't appreciate 'all the small things' like we have learned to do living in St Kitts.  

Today when I was recollecting on my days of living in America, I realized I really did not appreciate so many of the luxuries we have living there.  I don't think there were 'small things', like there are in St. Kitts, that I was SO thankful for.    Once leaving, the things I appreciated there become really obvious - smooth roads, working cars, Wal-Marts, Malls, stores, FRESH (not molded) food at the grocery store, bug-less pasta(and other food items), being able to drive to get 'out of town', affordable everything.. oh the list goes on! 

Since living in St. Kitts, there are so many small things that I am SO grateful for purchasing before moving here, and bringing with me, or purchasing on island.  

*Note - MOST of the things I purchased on island were USED and probably cost more than they would new in the states.  If it wasn't used, it is pretty much guaranteed it cost double here.  Most of the things from the states were purchased for dirt cheap at Christmas Tree Shop!*

Items from HOME!

Item # 1 
Light weight quilt from Christmas Tree Shop.  Fit easily into suitcases, is compatible with the warm caribbean temperatures and has been through the wash 100 times and is STILL in great shape =)



Item # 2 
Fleece blanket I made about a year prior to moving to St. Kitts.  Has been cut in half, re-tied and now belongs to the dogs!  Also been through the wash 100 times and in great shape.. And my dogs love these blankets like a baby loves its blanket! 



Item # 3

Collapsible baskets from Christmas Tree Shop.  Easy to pack in suitcases, and great to store stuff in when you live in apartments with no storage, closet or dresser space!
  


Item # 4 
My LLBean bag that Mom bought me before we got married (love that my initials didn't change!).  I use it EVERYDAY as my school bag and its heavy duty and durable and does great in the washing machine! 



Item # 5

My towel head wrap for after showering!  I know, this seems like nothing, but its SO nice here!  Also a Christmas Tree Shop purchase and been through 1,000 bleach loads! 



Item # 6 

Bathroom Rugs.  Again, been through wash, all over, and still kicking *yes, i know its dirty!*


Item # 7

Our camera.  So glad to have that here!! 



Item # 8

Concrete walls and no tools = limited ways to hang things up.. 3M Hooks save the day.. Everyday! 



Items purchased in St. Kitts

Item # 1

Curtains we had made down here!  So worth the price - which I think was ACTUALLY reasonable!!  




Item # 2 and Item # 3 and Item # 4

Skillet, Crockpot and Toaster Oven - *Could not live without!*




Item # 5

Baby Gate - Keeps the dogs out of the cats 'stuff'!  Really sucks to step over in the middle of the night - but it does its job! 





Item # 6

Shower Head.  Hard water and cheap landlords = AWFUL shower heads.. Enough said! 




Item # 7

Caribbean = sand.  Caribbean = rain.  Caribbean = Dirt.  Caribbean = DUST... Leann and Brayton = TOO many pets...

Sand, Rain, Dirt, Dust, Pets =  a LOT of stuff to vacuum up!  Love me my ShopVac! 



Item # 8

LIFE in the Caribbean = MUST HAVE CHEAP WINE..  CHECK!   



Item # 9, Item # 10 and Item # 11

This doesn't really apply - but is by FAR the best thing we have 'bought' since being here - our animals.  They are awesome!  







Living here has taught me to appreciate, recognize and be grateful for the small things in life.. The small things that often go unnoticed!




No comments:

Post a Comment