Car shopping on this island is like going to a junkyard and paying 6 times what you should for a car that probably won't work for long, will need constant repairs, but will be the best you can get. Brayton and I have looked around at numerous cars, drove some, looked at some, the same old car shopping business, just with junkers! So, we found one we liked, made an offer, didn't get the offer, but bought the car anyways...Its a Toyota Rav 4, an orangeish-brown color...and it runs! Hopefully it will last us the entire two years we are here and we won't have to pay for major repairs....
here's the kicker....
when we bought the car, it was under the circumstances that it needed the A/C fixed (important), something in the steering column (important) and a new tire b/c one was bald(Also important!). Last week on Tuesday/Wednesday when we finished the deal, we were told we would have the car by this Tuesday(today) and that the repairs would be done, the guy had all the parts...blah blah blah...
well, its not done, actually NONE of the repairs have been done yet - yup, NOT ONE! So, here we are, having paid for the car (too much money, because thats what you have to do here), all the paperwork done....but no car...Apparently the guy who fixes the car, doesn't really have the tools/supplies to fix the cars so he has to go to another shop, but that guy is busy and the tropical storm we just had impacted the working on of the car...and blah blah blah! So, we still have no car, no idea when we will have a car (hopefully by Saturday - but they said we could have it, with no repairs, drop it off Friday night they would do the repairs Sat, and we could have it back...) OISK! (that means Only In St Kitts - and its a great phrase!!) So, we are hoping for a car, a fixed, ready to drive safely with A/C car, SOON!
If you are confused by this post - good, I am confused at what I just wrote and the whole situation we are in! Island Time was fun at home - when it only existed on the river, when you wanted it to exist - here: it is not so far! When they say Island time, they mean it! You may wait at a bar for the drink you ordered for 15 mins while they 'do other things', or may have to deal with car drama, for daysss on end! I could probably give you more examples, but you get the point!
And, while I'm rampaging about this - here is another GREAT 'OISK' moment- cooked myself, off-brand of course, mac and cheese tonight, and as I was cooking the pasta, saw something black floating in it. . scooped it out and discovered it was as bug, in my pasta...No big deal, that is normal here! You pick the bugs out, cook your pasta good and ENJOY =) OISK!!!!!!!!!!!
did I mention I love it here (NO sarcasm intended, I REALLY do!!!) =D
No comments:
Post a Comment